Ask a question

News

Unknown Lviv 10 pinwheels historical facts about the city

Today we take pinwheels as a decorative element, blacksmith work of art that decorates the house. And indeed flags that indicate the direction and with complex structures and even speed, the wind in the ancient city had a very important function.

And they connected with our town for a long time already. So today 10 facts from the history of weathervanes city.

 1. Weathervanes Lviv appeared long ago, in the fourteenth century. As the wind direction pointer. Their establishment was necessary because made it possible to effectively localize the fire and to prevent their spread by sparks carried by the wind.

2. vane was decorated facade of Lower castle. It mentions in his chronicle józef bartłomiej zimorowic: During the reconstruction of the castle mayor Andrzej Bazhy "... instead of the upper tiers of pyramids and flags (weathervanes of this form - ed ..) Vases and bowls with ears pryzdobyv ..."

3. engraving, made by established in 1607 Passarotti pattern Aurelio, vane depicted on the towers and Galician Cracow Gate and the Tower of the cathedral church. Incidentally, the gate to Krakow in 1490 and was the watchman who was supposed to report fires. On the other towers of the city walls were also pinwheels.

4. Weathervane at Cathedral tower was replaced by another in 1615 to mark the entrance to the city Archbishop John Pruhnytskoho. Zimorovych wrote: "temple bell itself instead of the check box on its top foruhvu with appropriate sign put up that fast movement turned around."

5. Town Hall tower vane installed the add-in after 1619. He was an iron in the form of a lion that is holding in front paws and pahorbky three star. Philistines called him affectionately "levenyatkom."

6. Fall "levenyatka" Lviv interpreted as a prediction of future disasters. For example, July 7, 1672 a strong wind knocked Hall tower spire, and a few months Lviv survived the heavy Turkish siege. Then iron lion replaced by gilded. After following his fall - Lviv in 1704 won the Swedes.

7. gilded "levenyatko" stood at the Town Hall tower to its fall 14 July 1826. He was later made to the rebuilt tower (1827-1835 gg.). "Surviving" vane fire and shelling the city after the Austrian army in November 1848 and was again placed on the tower rebuilt in 1851. There he remained in the interwar period. Now "levenyatko" is the collection of Lviv Historical Museum.

8. stood pinwheels and churches of the city. In particular, the Bernardine monastery bell tower vane was laced letters that says "Michael fecit victoriam" (sv.Myhayil creates a win). This vane, in any case, was removed after the fall of the spire bell tower Town Hall in 1672.

9. weathervanes decorated and the roof of the church barefoot Carmelites, and the roof bonifrativ hospital. And the one that now stands in the church of the Jesuits, made in the form of a silhouette of an angel.

 10. In the nineteenth century. In connection with the improvement of fire safety, weather vanes become decorative purposes. But continuing the long tradition of being used to fight fire, weather vanes were installed on the buildings in front of the fire guard Lychakivska beginning of the street (there is not) and Pidvalna.